We all want a home that showcases our unique personality and highlights the important elements that make up our lives. Sure, model homes look fancy, but they don’t have much character and it’s pretty obvious that no one lives in them.
You have a life filled with memorable moments, adventures, and meaning — and when you welcome these elements into your space, you will bring it it life.
Here are a few key ways to personalize your space:
Personal Items & Momentos
A simple and effective way to personalize your space is to add personal items and mementos that are unique to you and your family.
Perhaps you’ve travelled to a special destination and brought home a souvenir, or maybe there’s a type of collection that you would like to feature. Highlighting these elements can be accomplished with photos, artwork, decorative pieces, and more.
Here are some examples of personal items worth highlighting in your space:
- Antiques, toys, books, candles, vases, etc.
- Photos that you’ve taken of family, friends, or nature; professional photos that you’ve purchased; or a mix of both.
- Sculptures, paintings, hand-crafted items, etc.
- Postcards, maps, trinkets, pottery, etc.
Photos, Photos & More Photos!
Adding photos and wall art to your space is definitely on trend.
Creating a gallery wall is a fun activity that allows you to mix and match photos, paintings, artwork, mirrors, and more. It’s an effective way to showcase your life, and it will be sure to help personalize your space.
Here are some do’s and don'ts for your photo space:
Add photos that have meaning to you in your life and fill you with positive thoughts or meaningful memories. This could include family photos, baby photos, travel photos, special holidays, pets, and more.
Showcase images that are highly personal or might be considered as over-sharing. This could include images with nudity, past relationships, and more.
Mix and match photos from different time periods and with different colours. You can have black and white or colour photos side-by-side, and you can exhibit photos from your parents’ childhood as well as your childrens’.
Cram every photo you love onto your wall. Be discerning and only select pictures that you will be happy to see every day. Make sure that you leave enough space between the images, so they have some space to breathe and you can take them in one at a time.
Custom Fabric & Design
Every room in your home is different, and you want your furniture to reflect your personality and style. At Smitty’s, we carry a wide variety of furniture that can be customized to suit your taste. You can choose your fabric, your furniture legs, your throw cushions, and more.
Here are some tips on customizing the fabric and design of your furniture:
- Accent furniture, like chairs, coffee tables, and bedside tables can be customized. Chairs can be covered with leather or fabric in a wide range of colours to work in your space. Some brands, like Decor-Rest, also allow you to select the type of chair legs. Tables can be stained or painted in a variety of colours. Some brands, like Durham Furniture, will also allow you to select the number of drawers, hardware, and other features.
- Sofas and sectionals can be customized to suit any space. Many brands, like Brentwood, offer a huge range of fabrics and leather options. Once you’ve selected your fabric, you can add throw cushions in accent tones to add an extra element of personalization.
There are many ways to personalize your space and make it your own.
If you are looking for some inspiration or advice, visit the interior decorating experts at Smitty’s — we’ll help you bring your space to life!