Fall is here, and it’s the perfect time to update your furniture as you plan to spend more time indoors in the cooler months ahead.
One of the biggest changes in home furniture that we’ve seen over the last few years is the addition of statement furniture because it’s both functional and stylish.
If you want to update a room in your home, adding statement furniture is a great way to go.
What is statement furniture?
Statement furniture is large-sized furnishings, like a sectional, oversized coffee table, extended dining table, bed frame with headboard, or hutch/sideboard that exhibits the following characteristics:
- It offers a style or design that stands out from the rest of your furniture and decor.
- It has a bold or strong colour.
- It is made from a material that doesn’t exist elsewhere in the room.
Best places to use statement furniture in your home
Statement furniture can live in every room of your home. The first thing you need to decide is, which room are you wanting to update?
The top rooms to add statement furniture are:
- Your dining room
- Add an extended dining table or oversized sideboard or buffet.
- Your living room
- Add a sectional or oversized coffee table.
- Your bedroom
- Add an oversized headboard and matching bed frame.
The Helix table and chairs (pictured above) by Legacy Classic Furniture can take your dining room from blah to wow. Its contemporary design and clean lines offer a strong presence, while still offering a high degree of functionality.
The gorgeous, mirrored console (pictured above) by Hooker Furniture would be a stunning addition to any dining room. Offering a beautiful and stylish design, this sideboard is highly functional and makes a statement in your dining room.
If you feel a bit nervous about adding a significant piece of statement furniture in your home, then you can tip-toe into the idea by adding a unique accent chair. The contemporary chrome and leather accent chair (pictured above) by Superstyle Furniture would be a great way to add a statement piece to your living room or guest room.
If you are looking for additional storage space, don’t just opt for the traditional bench or bookcase, try adding a statement wall unit. The Albany wall unit (pictured above) by Artage offers modern sophistication and elegant design, and it comes in a wide variety of finish options to suit any home.
Don’t be afraid of statement furniture
Some people are intimidated by the idea of adding large pieces into their living space, but there’s no need. Using larger and bolder furniture will add dimension to your room and help you maximize your space.
If you are still unsure of where to start, consider these expert tips:
- You don’t have to pick an extreme colour.
- You can certainly add a bright red chair to your cream-themed living room, but you don’t have to go this extreme. Adding a neutral-coloured chair that has a bold style or a unique design is all you need.
- You don’t have to choose a style that doesn’t go with anything else in your room.
- You can make a statement without fighting the flow of your space or the design of your room. Adding a uniquely-designed chair or sofa is great, but it shouldn’t prevent you from moving through your space or living your life comfortably.
- You don’t want to have two statement pieces in one space.
- It is best to have a single statement piece in your room. Adding two or more statement pieces will shrink your space and visually compete with each other. One piece is effective, but if you add more than that, you will begin to feel uncomfortable in your space.
At Smitty’s, we have a wide variety of beautifully-crafted statement pieces for any home. Come and visit us today and our team will help you select the best furniture for your space.