Welcome to 2018! It’s a new year full of new experiences, new ideas, and new improvements.
The new year gives you a fresh start — like hitting the reset button. It’s a time when many of us make resolutions, where we endeavour to improve our diet, our exercise regimen, or make changes to better our lives and our well-being. One of the best resolutions you can make this new year is to improve your sleep.
Getting a good night’s sleep is one of the most effective ways to improve your overall health.
The Benefits of Good Sleep
There are countless benefits to getting a proper night’s sleep:
- Improved Brain Function & Memory
- While you sleep, your brain is still working. It’s preparing neural pathways that retain information and enhance your problem-solving skills.
- Improved Mood & Reduced Stress
- Sleeping helps to calm the body and relieve tension. Studies show that better sleep reduces depression, anxiety, and the effects of stress.
- Improved Immune Function
- The body heals itself while you sleep, which can help prevent sickness. Studies show that people who sleep less than seven hours are nearly three times more likely to develop a cold than people who sleep over eight hours.
- Improved Metabolic Function
- While you sleep, your body’s cortisol levels are reduced. Cortisol is a stress hormone and it activates reward centres in your brain that can be satisfied with food. The more you sleep, the more your cortisol level declines, providing you with better weight control.
Is my mattress worn out?
Many people don’t realize when their mattress has reached the end of its life. Sleeping on a worn out mattress can result in poor sleep, pain, and discomfort.
Here are some quick questions to ask yourself to determine if your mattress is worn out:
- Does your mattress sag or have indentations where you lie?
- Does your mattress creak or squeak?
- Do you toss and turn all night long, trying to get comfortable?
- Is your back sore after waking in the morning?
- Is your mattress over 10 years old?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the time has come to shop for a new mattress.
What kind of mattress should I get?
There are many considerations to take into account when shopping for a new mattress and everyone has different needs. Here are some key considerations:
- Do you require the same level of firmness as your partner?
- Do you have particular health issues to take into account?
- Do you have difficulty getting out of bed?
- Do you get hot while you sleep?
There are many different kinds of mattresses on the market and it’s important to have answers to these key questions before you go mattress shopping.
What brand of mattress is the best?
We understand that you want the best mattress for the best sleep, but finding the “best” mattress brand is definitely a personal decision. Any website that tries to tell you that they offer the “best” mattress on the market should send up a red flag.
There are all kinds of mattresses to choose from including: eco-friendly, custom, adjustable, memory foam, spring coil, layered coil, gel-infused foam, pillow tops, and more. There are unique benefits to all of these types of mattresses — the key is determining which one is right for you.
At Smitty’s, we recommend a variety of mattress brands like Serta, Kingsdown, and Zedbed. We are proud to offer brands that have been recognized for their quality construction and excellent warranties — and then we go above and beyond by offering our 30-Day Comfort Guarantee for mattress and base sets.
Smitty's has great success when it comes to helping people select the right mattress. Come and visit your local Smitty’s store today. We’ll take the time, and use scientific tools like bedMATCH™, to help you find the right mattress for quality sleep.