(Bermex dining set pictured above.)
A dining room is a special place. It’s more than just a place to eat. A dining room is where celebrations are held, friends and family share stories and laughter, and memories are made.
Your Dining Room, Your Space
Your dining room is a reflection of your style and can be anything you want it to be — from formal and fancy to eclectic and casual. There are no rules anymore.
Renowned designer, Nate Berkus, once said, “I hate sets. I’ve always hated sets. I think that if you have a dining room, break it up!”
Gone are the days of matching table and chairs. No more concerns about contrasting colours or patterns. Tables don’t just come in one shape, colour, or size. Chairs don’t all have to look the same. Everything can be customized to suit your needs, wants, and desires.
Custom-Made Dining Tables
(The Table Factory Reclaimed Hemlock table pictured above.)
Our customers always tell us how much they love being able to customize their furniture, and this is especially true of dining room furniture. The ability to create your own table means that you can have a unique-to-you piece in your home, which will work perfectly in your space and for your lifestyle.
Custom dining tables generally allow you to select the following:
- Size: This includes square, round, and rectangular-shaped tables. It can also include selecting the number of table leaves to extend your table for guests.
- Tabletop material: This typically includes wood and glass.
- Table base: This includes wood, metal, and steel.
- Tabletop Thickness: For wood tables, this allows you to select how thick your tabletop will be.
- Finish: For wood tables, this allows you to select the colour of your finishing stain and gloss.
The Table Factory offers an enormous range of options when customizing your table. Their selection of wood ranges from cherry to reclaimed hemlock barn flooring and their custom bases are offered in a variety of designs. This level of flexibility allows you to fully customize your table.
Bermex offers an absolutely staggering selection of table sizes to choose from. Their website provides customers with an online Design It tool to assist you in building your custom table online. You can select the height, shape, dimensions, legs, profile, finish, and ring with ease.
Live Edge Dining Tables
(The Table Factory Live Edge Steel T-Base table pictured above.)
An increasingly popular choice for custom-made tables is to have a tabletop with a live edge.
What is a live edge table?
A live edge table is a table where the craftsperson has incorporated the natural edge of the wood into the design of the table. In some cases, this will illuminate the wood grain (as shown in The Table Factory image above), while still providing a perfectly straight edge. In other cases, you may have a table with an organically-shaped edge that follows the natural line of the wood.
Live edge tables are available in a variety of sizes and shapes, as each piece will vary depending on the type of wood from which it was cut. These tables are unique pieces of furniture that are more than just conversation pieces — they are works of art in your dining room.
Custom-Made Dining Seating
(Hooker dining set pictured above.)
In the same way that you can customize your dining table, you can also customize your dining chairs. Remember, there are no rules. You don’t need matching chairs, you don’t need arms, you don’t even need seat cushions — you can do anything.
Some of our favourite dining seating options include:
- Captain’s Chairs: Sometimes called Guest Chairs, these large, ornate chairs have arms and can be placed at the head and foot of your table to frame your dining table space and add some drama. Pairing captains chairs with more simple chairs along the sides of your table adds nice contrast to your dining area.
- Dining Benches: Typically made from wood, either straight edge or live edge, these benches pair nicely with dining chairs. You can choose to have one bench on a single side of your table, or go for a symmetrical look and have a bench on either side. Benches are great, flexible seating options.
- Bermex offers a wide selection of benches featuring wood and cushioned options. They also have the latest brass and bronze-coloured options.
- Mix and Match: Your dining chairs do not have to match. You can have some with arms and some without, some with cushions and some without, or even chairs in different fabrics, patterns, and colours. This fun look will bring character to your dining space and a more casual feel.
- Hooker Fine Furniture makes gorgeous dining chairs in all shapes and sizes that are perfect for mixing and matching.
It's easy to transform your dining room with so many wonderful furniture selections to choose from. Come and visit us at Smitty’s to see the options for yourself. We’ll help you update your dining room and we promise it’ll be fun!