Planning Today For A Greener Tomorrow
Title: Sustainable Furnishings Council
Responsible Wood Sourcing Policy
Smitty’s Fine Furniture is committed to the responsible use of forest resources, including the wood used in our furniture. Smitty’s therefore will work with our suppliers on an ongoing basis to eliminate wood from unacceptable sources and to progressively increase the amount of responsible wood – wood from certified and recycled/reclaimed sources – procured over time.
Smitty’s Fine Furniture recognizes the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) as an important tool to promote responsible forest management. We have a preference for sourcing FSC-certified wood furniture when it meets our requirements.
Smitty’s is also firmly committed to avoiding wood from unacceptable sources, including:
- Illegally harvested or traded timber;
- Timber harvested in violation of traditional or civil rights;
- Timber harvested from areas in which high conservation values are threatened by poor forest management;
- Timber harvested from areas being converted from forests to plantations or non-forest use;
- Timber from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted.
Through this Policy, Smitty’s Fine Furniture seeks to set a positive example for our peers and to do our part to protect the world’s forests.
Smitty’s Fine Furniture is committed to reducing our carbon footprint by:
- We have converted to LED lighting in our Hanover store, Hanover warehouse. We have converted our Kitchener store to high efficiency lighting. This has drastically reduced our energy consumption.
- We have invested in a routing system for our delivery trucks to reduce the miles travelled by our delivery teams.
- The lighting systems in our warehouse aisles turn off automatically if not used and only turn on by sensor when occupied.
- Wooden loading doors are being replaced by insulated doors to conserve energy.
Whenever possible used furniture is donated to our local ReStore for resell.
- Styrofoam is collected by Second Wind Recycling. The bagged Styrofoam is processed into a highly compressed foam which is then sent to a manufacturer for making products like outdoor furniture.
- Clear plastic wrapping used for protecting most upholstery furniture is compacted and delivered in blocks to EPS Plastics in Listowel.
- Cardboard is put in a large container and picked up regularly by Waste Management for recycling.
- Electronic components and used electronic equipment are sent to a local recycling depot.
- Smitty’s participates in the local recycling programs in each municipality.
- Used Appliances are picked up by a local metal recycling company.
Sustainable Furnishings Council
Smitty’s Fine Furniture is a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council and we fully support their efforts to help improve the environmental impact of the furniture industry. Currently 12 staff members including our president (Bob Gray) have completed the GreenLeaders Certified Sustainability Training program offered by the Sustainable Furnishings Council.
Our Brands Are Committed to Sustainable Production
When you acquire an Amisco piece, you are demonstrating your commitment to helping protect the environment. Amisco furniture is guaranteed to last, with durability and beauty that span generations.
Always concerned about limiting its environmental footprint, Amisco has completed and continues numerous initiatives to reduce its energy consumption.
Respect for the environment is a core value at Bermex. Bermex has adopted a number of practices to ensure they maximize resources and reduce their environmental impact.
Many lumber suppliers to Bermex provide FSC wood certification ensuring wood is harvested from a sustainably managed forest.
The best example of commitment to sustainable development is their durable hardwood furniture. In fact, your grandchildren may very well use in their first home the same high-quality furniture that you are buying today.
Brentwood Classics is a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council.
Brentwood Classics products are made of foam that is CertiPUR-US® certified. It is made without ozone depleters, mercury, lead, and other heavy metals. It is made without any harmful flame retardant chemicals (FR's): CFC's, PBDE's or TDCPP (Tris). Made without formaldehyde. Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million). It is performance-tested, durability-tested, emissions-tested, and content-tested.
Decor-Rest Furniture acknowledges the Toxics Reduction Act of Ontario and will continue to monitor new research regarding pollution prevention.
When you buy Durham Furniture solid wood furniture, you can be assured that it is produced in an environmentally sustainable and ethical way. Durham Furniture builds solid wood furniture to last for generations with lumber from replenishing North American forests. They continually strive to measure and improve environmental performance and reduce their ecological footprint.
Durham Furniture is a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council.
Palliser embodies business practices that promote the long-term preservation and enhancement of natural resources. Palliser is committed to creating a culture that goes beyond merely meeting regulatory requirements and truly strive for environmental leadership within the furniture industry.
Domestic manufacturing facilities reduce environmental impact and carbon footprint, saving millions of miles of international shipping each year.
All foam supplies used by Palliser have Certi-PUR certification. They source ethically grown and harvested wood in accordance with USFAW Lacy Act.
In partnership with SEAQUAL INITIATIVE, Beautyrest introduces the Harmony and Harmony Lux collections featuring the latest innovations in support, comfort, cooling and now sustainability all working together in harmony for a better night’s rest. Every Beautyrest Harmony and Harmony Lux mattress is made with SEAQUAL sustainable fabric, containing up to 50 recycled plastic bottles recovered from our oceans.